fbpx

Simone Inzaghi Reveals Why He Picked Bisseck Ahead Of Pavard Today As The Club Confirm January Transfer Plans

Written By Onyeka Daniel

It’s been a sort of bad week for Inter Milan after they lost to Bologna in the Coppa Italia, and they also lost their influential captain, Lautaro Martinez to injury, before it was later revealed that Italian wing-back, Federico Dimarco has also picked up an injury. Today, the Nerazzurri played against Lecce at the Giuseppe Meazza stadium and they managed to grab all three points.

More Details

Even though French defender, Benjamin Pavard was fully recovered from injury, the manager decided to stick with Yann Bisseck for the right centre-back role and the German defender confirmed the coach’s faith in him by opening the scoring and also helping the team keep a clean sheet at the back. Bisseck gave Inter the lead minutes before the break with his first goal for the club he joined in the summer.

He has been playing regularly over the last few weeks due to injuries to Pavard and Stefan de Vrij. Simone Inzaghi revealed that Pavard was ready to play against Lecce, but Yann Aurel Bisseck ‘deserved to be confirmed’ as the German defender has been ‘working hard and quietly.’


LATEST POSTS

Copa America 2024: Peru Vs Chile Match Preview

Euro 2024 Group E: Slovakia Vs Ukraine

NWSL Players’ Association To The Rescue On Sophia Smith’s Additional Suspension

With The Growing Interest In Two Of Their Midfielders, Juventus Looking At Options In The Transfer Market


“Bisseck is a lad who signed for Inter on July 13 thanks to Marotta and Ausilio. I didn’t know him,” Inzaghi admitted during a post-match interview. “I had watched some videos. He kept improving in training, working quietly. Pavard was ready to play tonight, but Bisseck deserved to be confirmed because he is doing well and he must continue like this. Now, he must not lower his guard.”

Inter had been eliminated from Coppa Italia by Bologna on Wednesday but immediately bounced back despite going to extra time mid-week. “Praise to the guys; we played 120 minutes on Wednesday against an organised team, very well-coached and with dynamic players,” said Inzaghi. “We played well in the first half [against Lecce], we created a lot. Lecce attacked at the beginning of the second half, but after our second goal, we managed the game well. It was important to win and it was not guaranteed after Wednesday’s game. I am really satisfied.”

Marko Arnautovic replaced Lautaro Martinez and delivered a lovely backheel assist for Nicolò Barella’s goal after the break. He joined Marcus Thuram in the starting XI, while Alexis Sanchez was introduced in the second half. “They [Thuram and Arnautovic] only missed the goal, but they worked really well,” said Inzaghi. “They must continue like this. Sanchez is back too. I am really happy with what they did. Let me mention Carlos Augusto and Darmian who had played 120 minutes two days ago and they did really well tonight.

“We knew Lecce were an aggressive team, but our central midfielders did great work; they had rested on Wednesday, and you could tell. The strikers didn’t score but worked hard for the team, so it’s like they scored for me.” Arnautovic admitted after the game that he’s going through a difficult moment. “He did great work, which was appreciated by everyone: the club, the staff, the fans and most importantly, his teammates,” concluded his coach.

Inter have now restored their four-point lead over second-placed Juventus. Their next game, the last one of 2023, is against Genoa at Marassi this coming Friday. The Nerazzurri coach also confirmed that the club is working to replace Juan Cuadrado in the January transfer window.

Colombian wingback Cuadrado will be on the sidelines maybe until April and with Denzel Dumfries also struggling, the club is looking to bring in a wing-back. The Colombian had to undergo surgery on his left Achilles tendon. Inzaghi said of the right-wingback issue that “The directors and I are in discussions.” “They’re already working on it,” he continued. “We have a lot of matches close together. So I have to come up with things in the wingback positions.” Inzaghi noted that “Cuadrado will be out until April. So that will be a big loss for us.”

Meanwhile…

Inter director Beppe Marotta also confirmed before the game against Lecce that the Nerazzurri will get a replacement for Cuadrado in January but any new signing must be ‘sustainable’ and insists the team ‘can’t depend’ on Lautaro Martinez. “I have to say that Lautaro deserves praise from everyone,” the Nerazzurri director told Sky Sport Italia.

“I respect him so much as a man and as a player. He is among the best strikers in the world, but it would be wrong to think Inter depend on one player only. We must be strong enough to win against Lecce and any other opponent. Surely, we’ll miss Lautaro, but we must have even more motivation without him.” The Nerazzurri were eliminated from the Coppa Italia Round of 16 against Bologna earlier this week. “It was an incident that could happen,” admitted Marotta.

“Now, what matters is to earn points and put in positive performances, which is the main target. Of course, our biggest problems are related to injuries. Other clubs have the same issue due to a busy fixture list. Talking of injuries, Juan Cuadrado has undergone Achilles surgery and will remain out of action for at least three months.

Read Also: Another Impressive Result For Bologna As They Consolidate On Their Top Four Place

Inter have been linked with Canadian winger Tajon Buchanan, a Manchester City target as well, and although Marotta confirmed Inter would sign a new player in that position, he didn’t name any potential target for the Nerazzurri. “Right now, Ausilio, Baccin and I are monitoring the transfers. Surely, it’s a role we want to cover,” he admitted.

“We don’t want to leave anything to chance as Cuadrado’s injury has left a void. In January, there are not always opportunities that can give us an advantage. We will find the right solution, which must be sustainable too. We can’t make big investments, but we’ll solve the problem.”

Marotta has also been busy with contract extensions with Lautaro, Dimarco and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who are expected to sign new deals soon. “We are proud to say that many players want to extend their stay here,” he said. “They are proud to wear this shirt. We won’t have many problems, we will finalise some contract extensions with no hasty.” He further added.

Do you have a story tip?
Kindly Email: keepup@bettitude.com

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagramTwitter and YouTube

Bookmark (0)
ClosePlease login

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Be in the Know! Subscribe To BettiSports Daily Newsletter